Author Topic: Deep Space by Govert Schilling  (Read 1907 times)

Offline 2dogs

• Platinum Member
  • Not a million miles away
Deep Space by Govert Schilling
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:18:08 AM »
This is a nice coffee table book for all you fans of white text on a black background, covering the largest possible field of science, the Universe of stars. There are many similar books but this one has a lot of well written, informative text, and multiple photographs and diagrams on a page where they add to the topic. It is amazing how narrowly focussed we are on everyday life that the larger cosmos has so little impact on us, but there are some significant messages, most notably that even the largest and most permanent appearing objects, the stars and galaxies, have life cycles, they form from the gas and dust, shine for a while, move around, collide, transform matter, explode, burn out or disappear into black holes - everything is changing, re-forming and nothing lasts forever.

Offline Moonshadow

• Diamond Member
  • Magick is all around us
    • moonshadow
Re: Deep Space by Govert Schilling
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
It sounds a fascinating book 2dogs  :)
My guess is we all focus on what is immediately around us and not the amazing larger cosmos as the fact that it is always changing and nothing lasts forever is our fears of that happening.
Always follow the path of your heart. X

Offline DarkMere

• Forum Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Love is the law, no matter what the religion.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 06:52:36 PM »
Yes its easy to forget that we are just a speck, not even a grain of sand in the scheme of things, yet at times we think we are everything. Everything does end, everything comes to pass, it is the way of life. How long will mankind survive. Will we escape the earth before an unscheduled disaster? If we do or if there are none will we escape the solar system before our sun expires, if we do will we escape before Andromeda collides with the Milly Way, if we do there comes a time with either the universe drifts too far apart to sustain any kind of regeneration and all the lights go out, or gets pulled to a stop and gets pulled back on itself, back to another tiny speck and maybe another big bang. Who knows Some how some way we will be history. But then I like to think that we return to another big bang and everything starts again. Kind of like a cosmic reincarnation  ;)
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Offline 2dogs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 04:59:52 AM »
The cosmologists still seem to be pondering cyclic universes, one-off universes and multiple universes, but I suppose we still have time to evolve an egg  ;).

Offline tanith

• Diamond Member
  • care for and love each other
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
may be we will all get sucked into a black hole, and emerge at the other end of a white hole and make a total mess of another planet, like we have with this one
keep an open heart and mind and love for your fellow man

Offline 2dogs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:54:21 AM »
I am flicking back and forth to my Buddhist book and trying to see what it's saying in terms of indisputable scientific truth - there may indeed be such things as karma and reincarnation, but the concepts have no real impact on me without direct experience. The Deep Space book is giving me a stronger feeling of this bit:

"Aware that all worlds of the past have perished 
And deducing the inevitable decay 
Of the worlds of the present and future, 
Discover the cause of suffering in conditioned existence"

although I'm not keen on dwelling too much on the idea of suffering, it depresses me and seems to be more of a philosophical conclusion than a fact. Maybe I'm just avoiding it but thinking about it too much has destroyed my enjoyment of life in the past so it's a dangerous subject. The first three lines are great though - I recently watched a Horizon programme explaining that, based on the proportion of iron, the material forming our Sun has been made from the remains of 1,000 generations of stars now gone - now that is some impressive perishing  :o.

Offline tanith

• Diamond Member
  • care for and love each other
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 06:27:58 AM »
truly the circle of life, can not remember the quote on the Tate and Lyles golden syrup tin but is showed a dead lion, with flies buzzing round and said out of death comes forth sweetness, or something like that
keep an open heart and mind and love for your fellow man

Offline Moonshadow

• Diamond Member
  • Magick is all around us
    • moonshadow
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
Nothing is forever, the whole amazing concept of our amazing world, the amazing universe , the destruction and suffering it can tie your mind up in knots (well it can mine) I don't think I have lived enough lifetimes to understand it, maybe one day I will. I am not saying we should bury our heads in the sand, be aware but just do our best and appreciate the small things.
Always follow the path of your heart. X

Offline 2dogs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 05:56:17 AM »
Yes, I used to wonder what Golden Syrup was made of exactly  ;).

One major characteristic of the Universe missed by the Buddhists though is the amount of information embedded in everything we see. In the case of this book, encoded in light. As a result of quantum physics the light of the stars, when matched up to the findings from experiments made on Earth, contains many details such as the elements that make them up, their speed and direction of movement, the speed of the star's rotation, its temperature and magnetic field, and other facts can be deduced like the distance and age of stars, and ultimately the evolution of the whole Universe. The fact that there is so much detailed meaning hidden in the world, and that we can make sense of it, is something scientists don't seem to enquire into too deeply, but I find it very strange indeed  :lamp:.